Friday, January 20, 2012

[ Escaping Technology ]

“Using the internet late in the night, browsing for long hours, using social networking sites and using mobile phones has led to social isolation and loss of social skills among teens. It can lead to a host of other behavioral problems such as insomnia, depression, anxiety and obesity,” - Kannaki Deka of bangaloremirror.com


Each morning my phone alarm goes off and the first thing I do is roll over, grab it, and check to see if I have any emails or text messages, and then it’s on to Facebook. After I get out of bed, I turn on the television and the computer.  Throughout the rest of my day I will continue to check my phone, spend way too much time on Facebook, Pinterest, and my email.  The term "tech addiction" seems to be on the rise and has more devastating effects than one would think.

Image Link
 I am more than willing to admit that I have a tech addiction.  Without my phone, wireless internet and some sort of computer, I go nuts.  I used to go camping because I enjoyed outdoor activities. Now, I feel like I am falling months behind and missing out for the few days I am technology free. 



Danielle Braff, of the Chicago Tribune (Jan 2012) writes that “at a time when 66 percent of people sleep next to their Smartphone’s, and 20 percent would go shoeless for a week (43 percent of iPhone users) rather than temporarily release their phones, experts are worried about how addicted Americans are to their phones.”  I don’t think I would quite go as far as giving up my shoes in exchange for the use of my Smartphone, especially in our harsh North Dakota winters.


It seems that with all of these different forms of technology, there is too much to do and not enough time to spend doing important things such as sleeping. “Using the internet late in the night, browsing for long hours, using social networking sites and using mobile phones has led to social isolation and loss of social skills among teens. It can lead to a host of other behavioral problems such as insomnia, depression, anxiety and obesity,” said Kannaki Deka of bangaloremirror.com.(Jan 2012) 

The truth is, technology is not going anywhere.  It is here to stay. Jennifer Soong of WebMD.com explains that these constant interruptions from all the different types of technology take a toll on our bodies and our mental states.  If it is nearly impossible to live without it, what can we do to live with it and maintain a healthy lifestyle?  WebMD.com explains that it is possible to disconnect and offers some steps on their website to try and help with a healthy lifestyle.(Jan 2012) 

No comments:

Post a Comment